Solar power is clean, safe, and renewable and can provide jobs here in New York State. The Solar Jobs Act would provide a blueprint to increase New York State’s production of solar power up to 5000 megawatts (MW) by 2025. According to the Citizens’ Campaign for the Environment, that is enough energy to power approximately:
- 1 million NYS homes (at 5 kW system size); or
- 100,000 (50 kW) grocery stores; or
- 50,000 (100 kW) schools; or
- 10,000 (500 kW) parking garages; or
- 5,000 (1 MW) shopping malls.
That would create approximately 22,000 new jobs and $500 million in new wages, as well as investing in an energy source that does not produce greenhouse gases.
Read the Citizens’ Campaign for the Environment article here.